Portugal's Rivers of Gold
Discover Portugal’s true beauty and rich past as you sail through an ancient land of tiny villages clustered around historic churches, monasteries and castles. Discover baroque palaces and resplendent manor houses. Admire tranquil landscapes and rabelos (flat-bottomed boats) heavily laden with casks of port wine, and explore Spain’s magnificent city of Salamanca. This unforgettable journey includes a two-night hotel stay in lovely Lisbon.
Portugal famously prospered during its Age of Discovery and you will find monuments to this vibrant era everywhere. Port wine, too, put the nation on the maps of travellers and oenophiles. A Douro cruise with Viking brings it all into sharp focus for you, providing rich insight into fascinating highlights such as these:
- Lisbon’s stunning Manueline architecture
- Lisbon’s Moorish-flavoured Alfama District
- Ancient universities in Coimbra, Portugal and Salamanca, Spain
- Port warehouses of Porto
- Porto’s historic centre, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Scenic vineyard-laden hills along the Douro River
- Vila Real’s extraordinary Mateus Palace
- The hilltop fortress town of Castelo Rodrigo
- The tiny village of Favaios, nestled among picturesque hills
- Port wine tastings at elegant estates
One of Europe’s most romantic capital cities, Lisbon is both historic and cosmopolitan, offering gracious 18th-century squares and parks, fairy-tale castles, Art Nouveau architecture, panoramic city views and a distinctive take on Mediterranean cuisine.